After Dalbir Singh will step down on December 31 2016, Lt. Gen. Bipin Rawat take over as the new Army Chief. In 37 years of service General Bipin Rawat is awarded gallantry and distinguished service with AVSM, YSM, SM, VSM, COAS commendations on two occasions.
General Rawat is currently serving as Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) of India. As Vice Chief of the Army, he super shaded two senior most Lt. Gen. Praveen Bakshi and P M Hariz. As the government abandoned the three-decade old tradition of elevating senior most officers as the service chief, Lt. Gen. Bipin Rawat was named the next army chief.
Here are some facts about CDS Bipin Rawat
- In 1978 he was commissioned in the Army, Lt. Gen. commanded the infantry battalion along with the line of actual control in the eastern sector, a 5 sector Rashtriya rifles and in Kashmir valley 19 infantry division.
- He was General Officer commanding the chief of southern command, prior taking over as the vice chief. He was general officer commanding Maharashtra, Gujarat and Goa area located in Mumbai before this assignment.
- Lt. Gen Rawat super shaded two senior most Lt. Gen. This was happened before in 1983 when Lt. Gen. S K Sinha was overlooked for the post in favor of General A S Vadiya.
- Rawat miraculously survived the chopper accident when he was the commander of the Dimapur-based headquarter 3 Corps.
Also Read: Story of Martyr Major Vibhuti Dhoundiyal
- During the UN peacekeeping operation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 2008 headed the Indian brigade. He learned art in Kashmir and the northeast. Indian peacekeeper performed splendidly in his leadership.
- Lt. Gen. Rawat is from the military background, as his father was also a lieutenant general.
- “Merit and suitability have been taken into account while selecting the new army Chief,” he told to Sunday express.
- On national security and leadership, he authored numerous articles which have been published in various journals and publications. He also completed the research on military media strategic studies and was awarded doctorate of philosophy from Choudhary Charan Singh University.
- In his 37 years of service, he was honored with gallantry and various distinguished service with AVSM, YSM, SM, VSM and COSM commendation on two occasions. He was twice awarded the force commander commendation.
- He has vast experience in the counter in surgery operation and high altitude warfare.
- His other assignment includes instructional tenure at Indian Military Academy, Dehradun, General Staff Officer Grade-2 at the military operations directorate logistic staff officer of the RAPID in central India. Colonel military secretary and deputy military secretary in military secretary branch and senior instructor, junior command wing.
- On 30 December 2019, he was appointed as the first Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) of India and assumed office from 1 January 2020.
These facts and achievements make CDS Bipin Rawat the best Army Chief and India will do best in his leadership. The army of any country needs a good leader to lead, and Lt. Gen. Rawat will prove himself as the best Chief of the Army like others.