Whenever the name “Missile Man” will be recalled, Dr APJ Abdul Kalam will always be memorized. He is one of the most admired people who is an inspiration as well as an Idol for most of the youngsters. The APJ Abdul Kalam biography is full of ups and downs that show the best example of “Never Give Up” and fight against odds to achieve your goal.
In most of the speech of APJ Abdul Kalam, he is seen inspiring the youngsters to dream big and work hard to achieve that dream. On that note, there are many of the inspirational books written by him. You will also find ample number of quotes by him that are still motivational supplement for many youngsters.
Motivational Story of Dr APJ Abdul Kalam
For all defense aspirants, you will be amazed to know that Dr APJ Abdul Kalam was rejected by the Indian Air Force during an SSB at Dehradun. After getting disappointed, he decided to visit Rishikesh to find a new way forward. While being in Rishikesh, he was attended by Swami Shivananda who thought him the lesson of life. He describes in his book “Wings of Fire”
“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear — How true! Here was the teacher to show the way to a student who had nearly gone astray!”
Swami Shivananda told Kalam:
“Accept your destiny and go ahead with your life. You are not destined to become an Air Force pilot. What you are destined to become is not revealed now but it is predetermined. Forget this failure, as it was essential to lead you to your destined path. Search, instead, for the true purpose of your existence. Become one with yourself, my son! Surrender yourself to the wish of God.“
Doctor Abdul Kalam was born on 15th October 1931 in Rameswaram and died on 27 July 2015 due to a cardiac arrest. He died at 83 while delivering the speech in IIM Shillong. His complete name was Dr. Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam.
Read More: Motivational Story of Major Surendra Poonia
Since then, Dr Kalam never looked back and worked hard till he become the Commander in Chief of Military. Based on his inspirational and motivational life, below are some interesting facts about APJ Abdul Kalam.
Inspirational Facts about Dr APJ Abdul Kalam
- Abdul Kalam was born to a Tamil Muslim family where his father was a boat owner and mother was a housewife. His childhood days were not easy and pampered.
- Since childhood, Kalam helped his family financially. During his childhood days, he used to sell newspapers to increase the monthly income of their family.
- While distributing newspapers, he also read them thoroughly. This brought his interest in studies.
- He loved Mathematics and Physics and to continue his internet, he pursued his engineering in aerospace engineering.
- Dr Kalam completed his engineering from Saint Joseph’s College, Trichurapally in 1954. Later he was enrolled in Madras institute of Technology.
- Kalam was passionate to become Pilot in Indian Air Force but he missed the chance. He got ninth position on the list where only first eight candidates were selected against the available openings.
- Dr APJ Abdul Kalam was tagged as “Missile Man of India” for his development of ballistic missile and launch vehicle technology.
- For his extraordinary contribution to Indian aerospace and research, he was awarded with Padma Bhushan(1981), Padma Vibhushan (1990) and Bharat Ratna (1997).
- Dr Kalam received Honorary Doctorates from 40 different universities.
- “Wings of Fire: An Autobiography” depicts the complete life and struggle of Dr Abdul kalam. This book has been distributed in 13 different languages including French and Chinese.
- Apart from “Wings of Fire” there are six other biographies that encompass his life and work.
- Based on his Kalam’s life, “I Am Kalam” movie was directed by Nila Madhab Panda. The movie showcase the how a Rajasthani boy get inspired by Dr Kalam to fulfill his dreams.
- Replacing Dr KR Naryanan, Dr AJPJ Abdul Kalam sworn in as 11th President of India, on 25th July 2002. His personality and attitude made him everyone’s favorite and named him as “People’s President”.
- He was the first unmarried president and scientist of India.
- Only three of the Presidents have been conferred the Bharat Ratna and Dr Kalam is one of them.
- Kalam was highly attached with students and children. He has delivered countless speeches that inspire million of young children. He always believes that children are the future of nation.
- In his lifespan, Kalam was frisked twice at JFK Airport, New York.
- Once Dr Kalam was asked by a journalist how would he likely be remembered for: as a scientist, a president or a teacher. Dr Kalam replied happily that he would always love to be remembered as a Teacher first.
- Dr APJ Abdul Kalam wants to dedicate his whole life for the nation. He even wished to die while serving his motherland. Most interestingly, he died of a cardiac arrest when he was delivering a Lecture at IIM Shillong.
- The day Dr Abdul Kalam visited Switzerland is remembered as Science Day in the country.
- Although being from a Muslim family, Dr Abdul Kalam was a strict vegetarian.
- Dr APJ Abdul Kalam headed SLV-3 as his first major project. But the project failed that shattered him.
- He was awarded as MTV Youth award icon in 2003 and 2006.
- During any of the event, he used to sit on common chair to support equality. In most of the cases, he refused to sit on the special chairs and humbly requested the authority to replace them with normal chairs.
- He formed a trust PURA (Providing Urban Amenities to Rural Areas), where he donated his complete salary.
These amazing facts about Dr APJ Abdul Kalam’s life bring goosebumps to the real Indians. The struggle he faced since childhood and his “Never Give Up” attitude has made him an IDOL for many of the youngsters.
There are some Inspirational Quotes by Dr Kalam, what will always inspire everyone to work hard and Never Give Up in your life.
Inspirational Quotes by Dr APJ Abdul Kalam
You have to dream before your dreams can come true.
Look at the sky. We are not alone. The whole universe is friendly to us and conspires only to give the best to those who dream and work.
Climbing to the top demands strength, whether it is to the top of Mount Everest or to the top of your career.
Man needs his difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy success.
Great dreams of great dreamers are always transcended.
We should not give up and we should not allow the problem to defeat us.