Being an Armed Officer of the Indian Defense Force is a blessing for many aspirants and civilians. And the medals and ribbons on the shining uniform add more pride and blessings to the person wearing it. Army medals play a very significant role in an armed officer’s life as it shows their contribution and dedication to the given service.
If you are an Armed Officer aspirant, you must know about the medals of the Indian Army and ribbons.
Indian Army Medals and Ribbons Chart
1. Sarvottam Yudh Seva Medal (SYSM)
This medal is
- Firstly, the highest Wartime Distinguished Service Decoration of India
- Awarded as the highest decorations of distinguished services in operations: operations means conflicts, wars, and hostilities issues.
- Given to only martyr soldiers.
If a person earns more than one Sarvottam medal, every additional award adds in the form of a Bar attached to the rib. Further, the committee suspends medal for the same.
2. Uttam Seva Yudh Medal (UYSM)
- The medal is dedicated to the highest decoration concerning the wartime services
- Uttam Seva Medal is for operational context that includes wartime, conflicts, and hostilities.
- This medal is also for posthumously.
3. Yudh Seva Medal
- Firstly, it is India’s military decoration is for distinguished wartime services.
- It is given to military officers for a higher degree of services like operations and wars.
- Presented to the martyr soldiers.
4. Param Vishisht Seva Medal (PVSM)
- The PVSM was created in the year 1960
- The medal is for to the officers in recognition of peace-time service.
- Given to the officer posthumously.
- Lastly, the officers eligible for this award: Territorial Army, Nursing Officers, Auxiliary and Reserve Force, and other lawful officers can receive Param Vishisht Seva Medal.
5. Vishisht Seva Medal (VSM)
- Fistly, the Vishisht Medal belongs to India’s Armed Forces.
- It recognized officers of “distinguished services with exceptional order” of all ranks.
- The award gives the right to use VSM as a nominal name.
- The earlier name of VSM was Vishisht Seva Medal, Class III. It was renamed to the name on January 27, 1967. Although, the design remains same as earlier.
3. Ati Vishisht Seva Medal
- ATVM is India’s military award belongs to the armed officers with distinguished services with a particular order.
- Granted to officers posthumously
- Officers can use it as post-nominal
- It was popular by the name “Ati Vishisht Seva Medal, Class II” before. Further renamed and redesigned in the year 1967.