Captain Ashutosh Kumar is posthumously awarded Shaurya Chakra on Independence Day 2021. He is awarded Shaurya Chakra for his sacrifice during a gun battle with terrorists on the Line of Control in the Machil sector of north Kashmir’s Kupwara. 24-year-old Captain Ashutosh was commissioned in the 18 Madras Regiment. Everyone should read the inspirational facts about martyr Captain Ashutosh Kumar.
Inspirational Facts about Captain Ashutosh Kumar
- Ashutosh was born on 15 Oct 1996 and hailed from Parmanpur village of Bihar’s Madhepura district.
- Ashutosh’s father Ravindra Yadav, posted in the veterinary hospital while his mother, Geeta Devi, is a housewife.
- Capt. Ashutosh Kumar was an alumnus of Sainik School, Bhubaneswar
- During his school days, he was inclined towards defence forces.
- He was selected for the prestigious NDA after finishing school.
- After his training from IMA Dehradun, he was commissioned as a Lieutenant in June 2018
- He was commissioned into 18 Madras of the Madras Regiment, an infantry Regiment.
In November 2020, 18 Madras was deployed in the Kupwara district. The unit was engaged in counter-insurgency operations regularly. On 8 Nov 2020, Capt Ashutosh Kumar’s unit undertook operations to check the infiltration bids as its AOR (Area of Operation) was prone to infiltration by the militants from across the border.
Capt Ashutosh Kumar, along with his team, swung into action to foil the infiltration bid and neutralize the militants. Capt Ashutosh Kumar deployed his troops tactically to block the possible escape routes and engaged them aggressively. In the ensuing fierce gun battle, three militants were eliminated. However, during the exchange of fire, Capt Ashutosh Kumar and four of his comrades received gunshots and were seriously injured. Later, Capt Ashutosh Kumar, Havildar Praveen Kumar & Rifleman Ryada Maheshwar succumbed to their injuries and were martyred.
Capt Ashutosh Kumar is survived by his father Shri Ravindra Yadav, mother Smt Geeta Devi, and sisters Khushboo Kumari & Anshu Kumari.