Colonel Ashutosh Sharma, CO of 21 RR (Rashtriya Rifles) unit, sacrificed his life in a joint operation of Indian Army and the J&K police in the Handwara (J&K). With Colonel, Indian Army lost four of its personnel and one J&K police Sub-Inspector. Security forces also managed to gun down two militants, one of whom has been identified as Lashkar-e-Taiba commander Haider, reported India Today.
Read the motivational facts about Col Ashutosh Sharma who made the supreme sacrifice for the nation.
Motivational Facts about Col Ashutosh Sharma
- He was recommended for Indian Army in 13th
- Col Sharma joined the Army in the early 2000s.
- Colonel Sharma belongs to Bulandshahar in UP.
- UP Government will also build a ‘Gaurav Dwar’ in his memory in village Parwana.
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath announced Rs 50 lakh and a job for his kin.
- The Commanding Officer who led from the front and made the supreme sacrifice, Colonel Ashutosh Sharma, was decorated with Sena Medal (Gallantry) twice. THIS is bravery!
- Colonel Ashutosh Sharma’s demise is the first time in five years that a Commanding Officer or Colonel-rank officer has been killed during a counter-terrorism operation in J&K
- The Colonel had told his colleagues that it was his aim to nab/ gun down Lashkar-e-Taiba commander Haider.
- Belonging to the Guards Regiment, Col Ashutosh Sharma, had been serving in the Kashmir valley for a long time.
- The last being Colonel MN Rai, a former Commanding Officer of the Rashtriya Rifles who was killed during an operation in 2015 followed by Colonel Santosh Mahadik who was also killed in November of the same year.
Other Handwara Martyrs (2nd May 2020) are:
- Major Anuj Sood: 21 RR- 19 Guards
- Sub Inspector Shakeel Qazi: J&K Police
- Lance Naik Dinesh: 21 RR- 17 Guards
- Naik Rajesh: 21 RR – 3 Guard
Colonel Ashutosh Sharma is now survived by his wife and a 12-year-old daughter.