On 30th of June 2021, Air Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari took charge as the Vice Chief of Indian Air Force. He succeeded Air Marshal Harjit Singh Arora. Currently he was serving as commander-in-chief of the IAF’s Western Air Command (WAC) that looks after the security of the country’s air space in the sensitive Ladakh sector as well as various other parts of north India.
Air Marshal Harjit Singh Arora retired from the service on 30th June (Wednesday) and handover the charge of new assignment on Thursday. The new Vice Chief Marshal Chaudhari is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy, who was commissioned into the fighter stream of the IAF on December 29, 1982.
Here are some interesting & motivational facts about the new Vice Chief of Air Staff.
Interesting Facts About Vice Chief Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari
- Air Marshal Chaudhari has a distinguished career of nearly 38 years.
- During his career, he has flown a wide variety of fighter and trainer aircraft in the inventory of IAF.
- He has a flying experience of more than 3,800 hours, including operational flying on MiG-21, MiG-23 MF, MiG 29 and Su-30 MKI fighter jets.
- After taking charge as the Vice Chief of Air Staff, he become the 45th Air Chief Marshal of the Indian Air Force.
- Air Marshal Chaudhari was commissioned in the Indian Air Force as a fighter pilot on 29 December 1982.
- He joined the 130th Course of National Defence Academy.
- He was the commanding officer of a frontline fighter squadron and has also commanded a frontline fighter base.
Here is how the new Vice Chief Marshal got promoted in his distinguished career.
Air Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari Service Record
- Squadron Leader: 29 Dec 1993
- Wing Commander: 17 May 1999
- Group Captain: 01 Mar 2006
- Air Commodore: 01 Sep 2009
- Air Vice Marshal: 01 Apr 2013
- Air Marshal : 01 Oct 2018
- C-in-C : 01 Aug 2020
- Air Chief Marshal: 1 July 2021
As an Air Vice Marshal, he has served as Deputy Commandant at the Air Force Academy, Assistant Chief of Air Staff Operations (Air Defence) and Assistant Chief of Air Staff (Personnel Officers).
He has also held the coveted appointments of Deputy Chief of the Air Staff at Air Headquarters and Senior Air Staff Officer at Eastern Air Command. Prior to assuming the present appointment, he was the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Western Air Command.