Table of Contents
Kargil War, also popular by the name Kargil Conflict is the massive battle fought between India and Pakistan in the year 1999 in the Kargil district of India. Gallants of Indian soldiers won over Pakistan with indomitable courage. And one such name is Lieutenant General Yogesh Kumar Joshi– the Kargil War hero who fought against the enemies without the fear of death. The story makes every Indian’s heartbeat a little fast and gives the feeling of pride to the entire nation. But, many other things are still not known by us. In this article, we will share those interesting facts with you about Kargil War Hero Lt. Gen Y K Joshi.
Interesting Facts About Kargil War Hero Lt Gen Y K Joshi
1. Lt Gen YK Joshi was appointed as the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief at Udhampur, Jammu and Kashmir- the Northern Command of the Indian Army in the year 2020.
2. As the Northern command chief, Y K Joshi earned many bravery appreciations when he was commissioned to the 12 JAK Rifles unit of the army. His contributions involve initiating outreach programmes for young children and teenagers.
3. Lieutenant General Y K Joshi has experience commanding the entire team and has commanded many operations like Operation Parakram and Kargil War. And because of his extraordinary qualities and courage, he got recognition from the entire nation.
Accomplishments of Lt Gen Y K Joshi
4. Further, because of his outstanding contribution. The entire unit won a total of 37 gallantry awards for Operation Vijay. And those 37 medals involve 2 Param Vir Chakra, 8 Vir Chakra and 14 Sena medals. The same unit won the “Bravest of Brave” award and the Chief of Army Staff Unit Citation.
5. Lt Gen Y K Joshi also served a considerable amount of time in Ladakh, where he commanded infantry brigades in Tangtse and Karu along with 14 Leh based corps.
6. He was also the Chief of Staff in the Northern Command before taking the Northern region as a Commander.
7. Lt. Joshi attended the Defence Service Staff Colleges in Wellington. He was also posted in the Military Operations Directorate thrice in various capacities that just enhanced his skills and competencies against India and Pakistan- the two antagonists of India.
8. Lt Gen Joshi is an alumni member of the National Defence Academy (NDA) of Khadakwasla, along with a postgraduate degree from Defence Service Staff College, Wellington. He has also been a spokesperson, instructor and Military observer in the United Nations. And the list goes on and on.
9. Y K Joshi has given more than four decades of his life in military leadership in national security, management and planning of army operations at the national level. He also led the disaster management team, management of conventional & sub-conventional conflicts in Union territories of J&K and macro-level training of the Indian Army.
10. The Kargil Hero- Lieutenant Y K Joshi breathed his last as the Northern Command Chief this Monday after giving more than 40 years of his life to the Indian Army with many reputed positions and postings.