Indian Army has given numerous brave soldiers who sacrificed their lives to protect the country. And for such brave soldiers who made their supreme sacrifices for the nation, Indian Army honors Param Vir Chakra, the highest gallantry award for Indian Soldiers. Mostly this gallantry awards have been honored soldiers posthumously, but there are three (3) living legends who were decorated with Param Vir Chakra and are still serving in Indian Army.
A Brief about Param Vir Chakra:
Param Vir Chakra is the highest gallantry award honored to the soldiers who showed the highest degree of bravery and valor with exceptional courage and determination against the enemies. This award is honored to soldiers who marked an example of bravery either on land, sea or air.
Till now 21 brave soldiers of Indian Defence Forces have been honored with Param Vir Chakra. Out of them, only 3 awardees are currently serving in the Indian Army. Subedar Sanjay Kumar, Subedar Major Yogendra Singh Yadav and Subedar Major (Honorary Captain) Bana Singh are the only serving personnel in Indian Army.
Subedar Major And Honorary Captain Bana Singh [PVC]:
- Honorary Captain Bana Singh first among three Living legends of Indian Army. He earned this award for showing extraordinary bravery and courage during Operation Rajiv (in 1987).
- Captain Bana Singh was born on 6th January 1949 in a farmers family.
- His uncles were serving in Indian Army that motivated him to join Army and serve the country.
- He was enrolled in Indian Army on 6th January 1969 (on his Birthday) and joined JAK Li (Jammu & Kashmir Light Infantry).
- During 1999 Kargil War, Honorary Captain Bana Singh was the only PVC awardee who was serving the motherland.
During Operation Rajiv in 1987, the 8th JAK Li was deployed in Siachen glacier. The Pakistani intruders captured the highest peak of Siachen Glacier, at 6500 meters. Naib Subedar Bana Singh led his team to clear the post and force back the intruders. He crawled from trench to trench and faced grenade attack. But passing all the difficulties and with his courage, he finally cleared the post.
- As a mark of victory led by Naib Subedar Bana Singh, that top is named as Bana Top.
Subedar Major Yogendra Singh Yadav [PVC]:
- Subedar Major Yogendra Singh Yadav was born on 10th of May 1980 in Ahir village of Uttar Pradesh.
- He joined Indian Army when he was just 16 years and 5 months old. He joined 18 Grenadiers.
- SM Yogendra Singh Yadav hails from a military background. His father Karan Singh Yadav also served in Indian Army and contributed to 1965 & 1971 Indo-Pak war.
- He was awarded Param Vir Chakra for his leadership and courage while capturing Tiger Hill in 1999 Kargil Yudh.
- During Operation Vijay in Kargil, Subedar Major Yogendra Yadav was recommended for Param Vir Chakra posthumously. But later it was discovered that he was recovering from his severe injuries quickly and become a living legend.
On 4th July 1999, he was given instructions to capture the bunkers at Tiger Hilltop. As the hill was high and was covered with snow with the high cliff face, it was hard tough for him to lead his platoon and capture the bunkers. In the midway of his operation, he was attacked with grenades, rocket fire and a machine gun by the enemy. In this, he received multiple injuries in his groin and shoulder. But he still managed to climb at the top and killed 4 Pakistani soldiers, capturing the top successfully.
Subedar Sanjay Kumar [PVC]:
- Rifleman Sanjay Kumar (now Subedar) was born on 3rd March 1976 in Bilaspur district of Himachal Pradesh.
- He applied to join Indian Army multiple times. He was rejected three times after which he cleared the entire procedure and joined Indian Army.
- Before joining Indian Army, Sanjay Kumar worked as a taxi driver in New Delhi.
- In 2010, Sanjay Kumar got in controversy as he was demoted two ranks from Havildar to Lance Naik, without stating any valid reason.
On 4th July 1999, he led his scout of team to capture Area Flat Top. While approaching towards the top, he was attached by heavy firing from the machine gun. In this firing, Rifleman Sanjay Kumar got injured with multiple bullet wounds. But he continued to approach towards the bunker and killed 3 soldiers. He and his platoon were finally successes in capturing the Area Flat Top.
WE SALUTE YOU