In the COVID-19 Outbreak, the Indian Army has found one of its Colonel ranked officers and Junior Commissioned Officer Coronavirus Positive. Both of them have a recent travel history within the country.
About Colonel ranked COVID-19 Patient
The Colonel ranked Officer is a Doctor in the Army Medical Corps and is currently posted in Command Hospital, Kolkata.
According to the sources, he returned from Delhi on 17th March, and since then, he was diagnosed with the symptoms, after which he underwent necessary checks and was later tested positive for Coronavirus.
About JCO COVID-19 Patient
Another patient of COVID-19 is a Junior Commissioned Officer who is currently posted in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
Army informed that necessary steps are being taken post confirmation of the virus “Necessary contact tracing has been done and identified persons also have been quarantined.“
Sources said that both the Army personnel are keeping good health and are currently stable. Army also informed that all those who have come in contact with the two persons are traced, and accordingly, they were quarantined.
Fake News of 106 Territorial Army Battalion Soldier
Another rumor is spreading across the media that one soldier of 106 Territorial Army Battalion was found COVID-19 positive. However, Army has completely rejected such news and notified it as fake news. Except for two cases, Indian Army hasn’t reported any other positive case for Coronavirus.
First Coronavirus Case in Indian Army
On 18th March, the first soldier from Ladakh had tested positive for novel Coronavirus in the Indian Army. The virus transferred from his father, who recently returned from a pilgrimage in Iran on 27th February. Officials said the soldier has already recovered, while his family, which includes sister and wife, are under quarantine in Ladakh.
On 27th March (Friday), Army Chief Gen MM Naravane launched an initiative named ‘Operation Namaste‘ to insulate the 1.3 million strong Army from the pandemic and extend all possible assistance to the government in containing it.
Gen Naravane has requested the Army personnel to take all precautions by the government and their local authorities to stay protected against the virus. He said, “I would request every one to take care of themselves and their families. Your safety is my first responsibility. I want to assure all the soldiers posted on the border that we will take special care of your families. We will achieve success in the ‘Operation Namaste’,“.