Table of Contents
Indian Government has today declared that Vice Admiral Karambir Singh is going to replace Admiral Sunil Lamba, who is going to retire on 31st of May 2019. Vice Admiral Karambir Singh is currently the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command. After Vice Admiral Karambir replaces Sunil Lamba, he will become the 24th Admiral of Indian Navy. Currently, Admiral Sunil Lamba is holding the position for the last 3 years, ending on the 31st of May.
Vice Admiral Karambir Singh Biography:
Vice Admiral Singh was born on 3rd November 1959 in Jalandhar, Punjab. He completed his schooling from Barnes School in Maharastra and then joined the National Defence Academy on 1st June 1980. He joined the Indian Navy Executive Branch. He completed his helicopter training and hence become the first helicopter pilot to become the Indian Navy Admiral. During his services, he commanded four ships that include ICG Chandbibi (Patrol craft of Indian Coast Guard), INS Vijaydurg (Missile ship), INS Rana (Destroyer) and INS Delhi (Destroyer).
“During his long and distinguished service spanning nearly 39 years, he has served in a variety of command, staff and instructional appointments,” the ministry said in a statement. “Vice Admiral Singh’s Sea Command includes Guided Missile Destroyers INS Rana and INS Delhi. He also served as Fleet Operations Officer of the Western Fleet and was Flag Officer Commanding Maharashtra and Gujarat area.”
Interesting Facts about Vice Admiral Karambir Singh:
- Karambir Singh is an alumnus of National Defence Academy. He was passed out of NDA Khadakwasla, Pune in 1980.
- He is the first Helicopter Pilot to become the Admiral in Indian Navy. He got his wings as a helicopter pilot in 1982.
- He has a wide experience of flying HAL Chetak and Kamov Ka-25 helicopters.
- In His 37 years of Indian Naval service, he has commanded the Indian Coast Guard Ship, a Naval Missile Corvette as well as a Guided Missile System.
- He took over as the Vice Admiral in Indian Navy after Vice Admiral harish Bisht retired on 31st October 2017.
Vice Admiral Karambir Singh Honors & Decoration:
- Param Vishist Seva Medal (PVSM)
- Ati Vishist Seva Medal (AVSM)
- Operation Vijay Medal
- Operation Parakram Medal
- Sainya Seva Medal
- 50th Anniversary of Independence Medal
- 30 Years Long Service Medal
- 20 Years Long Service Medal
- 9 Years Long Service Medal