Table of Contents
Most of the Defense Aspirants have heard about Major Surendra Poonia on different media portals. Well, in simple terms, Major Surendra Poonia is a man of multiple talents. He has served the motherland for many years as a Doctor. Apart from being a doctor is also a physician, Motivational Speaker and above all, he is an excellent Sportsman.
Major (Dr) Surendra Poonia was born on 1st of January, 1977 in a farmer family in Sikar, Rajasthan. Since school days, he was a keen participant in sports activities. Initially, he was a regular player of Khokho and Kabbadi. But, even having excelled sports skills, the Rajasthan Government don’t facilitate him to enhance his overall skills.
He completed his schooling from Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya Patan, Sikar and joined Armed Force Medical College, Pune for his graduation. He was graduated in 2001 and was then commissioned in Indian Army.
One Motivational incident of Dr Poonia’s Childhood Days:
Surendra Poonia was always exiled to do more and promote himself to a next level. During his school days, one of his teachers Sh Bhoor Singh once told his class to plant one tree and take care of it. Major Poonia was then living in one of the driest place in the country. So, it was hard for him to follow the instructions given by his teacher.
His grandmother told him that none of their family from his grandfather to father were able to grow a plant and see its transformation into a tree. This added more zeal to the 5-year old child. Since then his struggle to achieve excellence starts. He started planting but failed. For next 5 years he faces countless failures, until he was successful in surviving a plant. That plant has now transformed into a tree and still exists in the village. That was the first record breaking performance by Major Surendra Poonia.
Life as Officer in Indian Army
It was the AFMC, Pune where his skills were actually recognized and sharpened. He was highly inspired by the senior Indian Army coaches who helped him achieve multiple achievements during his service.
Major Surendra Poonia once said “My roommate at AFMC, who is currently a doctor in the UK, told me about the World Medical Games. When he asked me to participate, at first I laughed it off but he kept insisting. I finally decided to give it a try.“
In 2003, he was an active participant in Indo-Mongolia joint War Exercise, Ulan Bator, Mongolia. In 2005, during a counter-terrorist operation, he was decorated with Commendation card by the Chief of Indian Army, when he saved the lives of 1 officer and 8 soldiers. In 2008, he was selected in the most prestigious Parachute-cavalry regiment of India i.e. President’s Bodyguard (PBG). During his PBG tenure, he served Smt Pratibha Devi Singh Patil and Sh Pranab Mukherjee.
In 2008, he also served as one of the core members in initiating “Roshni”, a green innovative concept. The program was aimed to transform President’s Estate into energy efficient, green and zero-waste model. With his efforts in Roshni, the President’s Estate becomes the first urban place to be awarded as “ISO 14001:2004” certification.
In 2012, Major Surendra Poonia opted for premature retirement from his services to continue his passion as a Motivational Speaker. During his 12 years of dedicated service that encompasses his unmatched exposure, experience and professional experience to work profitably in the social field.
Major Surendra Poonia Achievements:
- He was awarded “Vishist Seva Medal” for his excellent performance in the sports in 2011. He is the youngest recipient of this prestigious award.
- He served in Para Special Forces as he was a qualified paratrooper with 123 successful jumps.
- He also served two Presidents of India in President’s Body Guard.
- He is the first Indian sportsperson to won three medals at the games in Croatia.
- He becomes the first Indian athlete to won (Three years in a row) consecutive Gold medals in power lifting.
- In any International Championship, he is the First Indian doctor to won 15 medals.
- He was considered to be the Best Athlete and Sportsperson at Armed Force Medical College.
- He was awarded as the Best Student in Medical Officers Basic Course at Officer’s Training School AMC center, Lucknow.
- In 2013, he was decorated as “Most Entertaining Sportsman of the Year” by 92.7 FM, Jaipur.
- Major Poonia was awarded by the Chief of Army Staff Commendation (CoAS) thrice, in 2006, 2010 and 2011.
As of now, Retired Major (Dr) Surendra Poonia is recognized as a sportsperson, a social worker, a Fitness expert, a youth icon. Along with that, he is also a Motivational Speaker. He has churned the experience of a soldier and paratrooper with the knowledge of a Medical Doctor to show that Nothing is Impossible if you can dream.