Table of Contents
You never know where and when you can find an inspiration and that’s what happened with the OLA Cab driver Om Paithane. The fate of Cadet Om Paithane let him meet a retired Army Officer (Colonel) whom he boarded in his cab to his destination. But Paithane never knows that his encounter with the retired colonel will totally change his life. Today, Om Paithane is an Army Cadet who is going to be commissioned in the Indian Army on 10 March 2018 from Officer Training Academy (OTA).
Talking with the media, Paithane commented that “My father was a driver who had lost both his legs in a road accident and was working as a watchman. I had to support the family while studying for final year BSc computer science. My mother worked in the farm. During my final year, I got backlogs and started driving a cab to support myself and my family. During one of the trips, I met a retired colonel, who asked me why I was wasting my time like this. He then pointed out the opportunities in the Army for youngsters like me and encouraged me to join.”
After completing his graduation, he planned to make an attempt for the CDS Exam and he cracked it in his first attempt. Once he witnesses his selection for the SSB Interview, his first call was made to the retired Army Officer who guided him throughout the journey. He said that in the initial days, he was careless but the training at OTA trained him into a responsible and disciplined Gentlemen cadet.
About Gentlemen Cadet Om Paithane
- Paithane hails from Tondal village, situated in the outskirts of Pune-Benguluru highway in Maharastra.
- He is one of the 257 Cadets who will pass out form the Officer Training Academy on 10th march 2018.
- This year, the cadets are a versatile bunch of officers that includes numerous engineers, a national level boxing player, an Indian Rugby player along with two Army Widows.
- Om Uttam Paithane, appeared for CDS 1 2016 for which he was called for SSB and made it in his first attempt.
- His Roll number during his selection was 0097214 and he was ranked 92 in the OTA Merit list 2016.
About Officer Training Academy:
Officer Training Academy was raised on 1st January 1963 and Brigadier Ram Singh was designated as the first Commandant of the Academy.
Between 1963 to 1965, 12 emergency courses were conducted in the academy that offers short service commission to the eligible cadets. Initially, it was started as the Officer Training School, which was renamed to Officer Training Academy after the completion of 25 successful years in 1988.
Read More Inspiring Stories: